Horwood's Map does not list a bandyleg walk, though the Survey of London suggests there was a street by that name in the 1790s: "In 1788, in anticipation of the passing of the Catholic Relief Bill, Roman Catholics in Southwark started collecting subscriptions for a chapel to replace the inadequate accommodation in a house in Bandyleg Walk with which they had previously been forced to be content. The chapel in London Road, an unimposing building whose site is now occupied by the South London Palace of Varieties, was blessed and opened in March, 1790, and finished in 1793."
Below is a later edition of Horwood's map (1818) which shows the Catholic chapel.
According to John Strype's Survey of London (1720) "BANDY LEG WALK, very long, comes out of Maiden Lane, crosses Queen street and falls into Bennets Rents." By 1814, however, Bandy Leg Walk is shown on Stranger's Guide Through The Streets Of London & Westminster as being a relatively short street that runs north-south, approximately where Southwark Bridge Road is today.
Fairburn's map of 1801, also shows Bandyleg Walk in the same place. The equivalent position on Howood's 1799 map shows a street called America Place, which is surrounded by a series of streets with names such as New Street and America Street. It is likely that there were developments to the area in the 1790s, with the streets being renamed. The older names, however, appear to have been persistent, and -- until further developments to the area -- continued to be used by Londoners.
View London Corresponding Society Meeting Places in a larger map